Struggling to muster up the energy needed for a productive workout session after work?
For many fitness buffs and regular gym-goers, pre-workout is that zang of energy or caffeine-generated rush that gets them through workout routines they feel is beyond them.
Pre-workouts are meant to boost your energy, hone your focus, and up your performance. Many pre-workout supplements come in powder form, which you can mix into a drink half hour before you plan on hitting the gym.
They can also be in pill, gummy, or tablet form. However you choose to take it, there are loads of options. Just remember, most pre-workouts are meant to be taken 20-30 minutes before you begin working out.
The goal is to pack your body with nutrients, amino acids, and minerals it may be lacking and that can cause quick muscle fatigue or burnout early on in your exercise.
Feel that extra push to achieve your goals with a pre-workout that works best for you.
Best Pre-Workout for Beginners
With a 4-in-1 formula that promises “raw strength, strong focus, long-lasting energy, and intense muscle pumps,” this pre-workout delivers a punch.
- Packed with cognitive enhancers honing your focus, caffeine, and L-Theanine, an amino acid that boosts focus and control
- Also contains the herb Rhodiola rosea, thought to build body resistance and beetroot which can improve your blood flow and up your oxygen intake
- Coconut water powder is added to the mix for a burst of natural fruity flavor and some electrolytes
4 Gauge is an effective, surefire way to get your muscles pumping, improve your physique, and most importantly, get into enjoyable workouts where you almost can’t stop.
Click here for the full review of 4 Gauge.
- Science-backed ingredients
- No serious side effects linked to any of the ingredients
- Many positive reviews
- No proprietary blends
- Contains a substantial dose of caffeine- something to take into account if you’re a coffee drinker
- Is available only on the seller’s website
With naturally sourced, backed-by-research ingredients, this powder is a quality pre-workout with many positive reviews on the web.
With a formula specially designed for women, the Powher pre-workout can help boost your motivation and endurance level without experiencing an intense caffeine crash.
- No muscle-building ingredients like creatine so you won’t have to deal with annoying bulk
- “Low stimulant” formula that helps combat fatigue and distraction
- Secret ingredient is EnXtra, a caffeine amplifier that complements the natural dose of caffeine also found in the powder
- Doses of Vitamin B complex and coconut water powder for electrolytes
With natural, “low-stim” ingredients, your workouts will be more focused and enjoyable, no strings attached.
You can also experience less fatigue, more energy during the day, and a healthier, more efficient metabolism.
- Low-stimulant formula means there’s no side effects or post-workout crashes
- Natural ingredients, backed by scientific studies
- Optimal dosing means you get more of what you need per scoop
- Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back
- Only available for purchase on seller’s website
- On the pricier side
- Contains artificial sweetener
The Powher pre-workout seems to be easy to use and specially focused on creating a product that’s a low-stimulant and has little side effects.
If you’re looking for a pre-workout that targets your aerobic and aerobic performance, boosts your blood flow, and enhances your muscle strength, then Performance Lab may be perfect for you!
- No stimulant formula
- Plant-based and prebiotic infused for natural enhancers
- Includes Setria® that provides nitric oxide (NO), a circulation boost that enhances muscle performance and growth, Creatine, and L-Citrulline
- Himalayan salt to help with hydration
With a straightforward non-intensive formula, these capsules don’t come with the side effects often caused by pre-workouts that contain caffeine and other stimulating ingredients.
Read our full Performance Lab Pre review here.
- Caffeine-free, vegan, allergen-free and gluten-free
- Clean formula of 9 ingredients with no artificial sweeteners
- Easy-to-take capsule form
- Premium price tag
- Available only on official site
- No vitamins in formula
If you like the idea of enhancing your workout without experiencing any crashes or side effects post-facto, the Performance Lab capsules are a great option for you.
A blend of caffeine, creatine, and Vitamin D, this Gold Standard pre-workout powder comes in a variety of flavors, ranging from Watermelon to Pineapple.
- Meant to help boost your endurance, immune system, focus, and energy
- Ingredients include Beta-Alanine to combat muscle fatigue, Creatine Monohydrate, and L-Citrulline Malate
Consumer reviews declare this powder flavorful and one that “packs a good punch”. With a mix of vitamins, amino acid, and naturally sourced caffeine, it’s easy to take and a great way to boost your workouts.
- Effective ingredients in dosages that aren’t overwhelming
- Pretty cheap pre-workout powder with great reviews
- Variety of flavors for anyone that would like something sweeter
- Caffeine dose may impede your sleep if you workout in the nighttime
- Some artificial flavoring
If you’re tired of holding your nose while downing your pre-workout shakes, this fruity, mild pre-workout powder may become your new favorite!
This powder is rated #1 on Amazon for organic, vegan pre-workout powders so you know there are people out enthusiastic about this product!
- Plant-based, USDA certified vegan formula
- Ingredients included organic ginseng, beetroot, green tea, yerba mate, maca root, and acai berry extract
- Promised positive effects include increased circulation, energy, endurance and boosting overall health and focus
Available in 3 naturally sweetened flavors, this pre-workout powder delivers all the benefits of increased energy and alertness but without any jitters, letdown crashes post-workout, or other unhealthy side effects.
- Organic, vegan-friendly, keto-friendly ingredients
- No sugars
- 3 options of flavors
- Thousands of positive reviews on Amazon
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Healthy dose of naturally sourced caffeine if you’re sensitive
- Some users report a disagreeable taste
This powder is a wonderful source of clean energy, for anyone looking to get that extra oomph pre-workout without jamming their body with synthesized supplements.
The Vintage Blast is a 2-step pre-workout powder. What does that mean? One scoop has a few ingredients that are digested more slowly than the others, resulting in an unfailing pace during longer workouts.
- Ingredients include performance-boosting Beta-Alanine, D-Aspartic acid for increased power and quicker recovery, and L-Citrulline Malate to help with soreness
- Other ingredients include Vitamin C, a Vitamin B complex, electrolytes sodium and potassium for hydration, and magnesium
Vintage Blast promises to help you maintain steady energy and consistently increased stamina and strength throughout your exercise routine.
- No artificial sweeteners
- Keto-friendly, FDA-certified manufacturing, non-GMO, gluten and dairy-free, and 0 carb
- Non-habit-forming and 3rd party tested
- Thousands of positive reviews on Amazon
- Money-back guarantee
- Caffeine dose equal to 1.5 cup of coffee- may be a lot for coffee drinkers
- Some quality ingredients are underdosed or have unproven results
A straightforward, jam-packed top-quality supplement can be the perfect start or end to your day.
Unleash your full potential with this all-natural pre-workout powder. Jam-packed with muscle-building supplements, this is designed to give you energy and strength.
- A “ clinically-tested nootropic pre-workout,” aimed to increase productivity, motivation, and muscle strength
- Caffeine-free for uncompromised mental and physical energy
- Ingredients include AlphaSize A-GPC which can enhance “mind-to-muscle sports activity,” Beta-Alanine, and L-Citrulline
Genuis Pre-workout powder has a straightforward and transparent formula and can also be used to enhance productivity in the office or during the day-not just for the gym.
- No artificial additives or sweeteners
- Clean Label, no-GMO
- All-natural ingredients
- Labdoor certified for sport
- A bit on the pricier side
- Some report no real increase of energy, just focus
If you’re looking for a caffeine-free, “low stim” option with all-natural ingredients, check out the Genuis powder!
If you’re looking to get serious, the NitroSurge pre-workout pledges that it’s a maximum strength supplement and one of the strongest of its kind.
- Boosts your nitric oxide (NO) levels which helps get blood-flow to the muscles and maximize pump and endurance
- Ingredients include L-Citrulline, Beta Alanine, Caffeine, L- Theanine, and Betaine Anhydrous
- Non-habit forming and creatine free
NitroSurge promises to help you get jacked, keep laser focus during your workout, and enjoy endless energy. It’s also designed to help facilitate muscle growth and workout power.
- Zero fillers or dyes in the transparent formula
- Positive Amazon reviews- many consumers found this incredibly effective
- Research-backed ingredients
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Heavy dose of caffeine that may be overwhelming for coffee drinkers or anyone that’s sensitive
NitroSurge is a budget-friendly, positively reviewed pre-workout that can also help you build up the physique you want and add some muscle bulk.
If you’re tired of powders in your drinks that are of questionable taste, try something different with these pre-workout candies in the sour gummy flavor. It’s dense with great ingredients too!
- Contains 350mg of Caffeine, Beta Alanine, and Citrulline Malate which increases blood flow and exercise capacity
- Boosts your Nitric Oxide with compounds that boost your energy and circulation
- High stimulation effect for unbridled energy and muscle strength during intense workouts
This pre-workout powder promises to pack a real punch! By increasing your muscular endurance, enhancing your blood flow, and honing your focus, they promise to propel you into beast mode.
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed or your money back
- A few different flavors to choose from (Pineapple seems like the most popular option online)
- Positive Amazon reviews – most users find this product to be highly effective and energizing
- Contains artificial sweeteners
- Can have intense results take try a small dosage and then up from there
Like the name, “Total War” suggests, this supplement isn’t for the feeble-hearted. With some high-stimulant ingredients, it aims to get you hitting that gym equipment fast and ready.
If foul-tasting powders have got you feeling wary about trying new pre-workout powders, the Legion Pulse fruit punch makes a fruity drink to gulp down before you start sweating.
- Power-packed ingredients include L-Citrulline malate, beta-alanine, caffeine, L-Theanine, and Alpha GPC
- Enjoy the effects of your drink without suffering from jitters, an upset stomach, or startling post-workout crash.
- All-natural formula acting as a nitric oxide booster- which increases blood flow and gets your energy up
This fruit punch powder has a clean formula, free of creatine which has been proven to be an ineffective pre-workout. Founded by fitness bestselling author Mike Mathews, it’s a great option if you’re looking for a gentle but efficient option.
- All-natural ingredients, keto-friendly, GMP certified
- Backed by research, 3rd party tested
- 100% satisfaction or your money back policy
- Different fruity flavors to choose from
- Lower dosages than some other products so someone bulkier may need to up the amount
- On the pricier side
Legion Pulse has pretty positive feedback from users on Amazon, many citing a great energy boost that isn’t accompanied by discomfort or other side effects.
Designed specifically for males looking to improve their workouts and the results, the Alpha pre-workout is jam-packed with strength boosting ingredients.
- Promises immediate strength gains and endless energy just minutes after consumption
- Research-backed ingredients include caffeine, Citruline Mallate, Beta Alanine, and L-Carnitine for leaner muscle mass
This is a powerful supplement for men looking to enjoy high-intensity workouts, grow leaner, and boost their overall strength.
- Comes in 3 tasty flavors
- Clinically dosed ingredients, relatively high dosages per serving
- Contains artificial colors, flavors, and sweeteners
- High dosage of caffeine so coffee-drinkers be cautious
Get ready to get energized, powerful, and toned with this intensely engineered pre-workout supplement.
If you’re looking for a pre-workout that can also aid weight loss and act as a fat shredder, Evlution Nutrition may be the best pre-workout powder for you.
- Fat burning formula that can assist weight loss and boosting metabolism
- Ingredients including Beta-Alanine, B6, B12, Folic Acid, Caffeine and Yohimbe bark and Green tea extracts
- Comes in a few flavors to choose from
This powder has high-intensity ingredients combined to give you muscle-pumping energy, fat-shredding benefits, and increased focus.
- No sugar, 0 carbs
- A variety of delicious flavors
- Many positive Amazon reviews
- Artificial sweeteners included
- High-intensity so you may want to take lower dosages in the beginning
- Contains a proprietary blend
Enjoy laser focus and unleash your inner beast with this high-intensity pre-workout powder.
Feeling the burn and rush of euphoria during productive workouts is an amazing feeling that’s not always accessible when you’re busy.
Whether you exercise first thing in the morning or after a long day after work, sometimes the energy and motivation is just lacking.
Taking a pre-workout supplement can help you tap into your full workout potential. Usually a mix of caffeine, amino acids, and healthy natural extracts that can help hone your focus and energy, these are great way to kickstart an amazing and satisfying gym routine.
Most pre-workouts can be put into a smoothie or shake 10-30 minutes before you hit the gym for maxim efficiency.
It’s important to read through ingredients before you begin with any pre-workout, especially if you have allergies, a preference for natural ingredients, or a sensitivity to caffeine.
Unleash your inner beast and achieve your fitness dreams with the pre-workout that works best for you!
12 Best Pre-Workouts for Beginners
Here are the top 12 options for beginners.
- 4 Gauge
- Powher Pre
- Performance Lab
- Optimum Nutrition
- Organic Muscle
- Vintage Blast
- Total War
- Legion Pulse
- Original Alpha
- Evlution Nutrition