We all have days when, despite our best intentions, we just don’t feel like working out. Motivation and willpower have an unpleasant habit of quitting when you really need them! The good news is that, on those low energy days, there are products called pre-workouts, which are designed to give you a lift.
But which is the best pre-workout for women?
With so many products to choose from, it can be hard to choose the best tasting, healthiest pre-workout. After all, it’s not just results that matter – supplements should be enjoyable and safe to use too.
To help you find the right product, we have tested and reviewed 12 of the most popular so you can save time and money, and quickly identify the best one for you.
Each one works as advertised, and contains proven ingredients, but they all work slightly differently. But whatever you are looking for from a pre-workout supplement for women, you’ll find a suitable product below.
So, without further delay, here are our top 12 female pre-workout supplements.
Top-Rated Pre-Workouts for Women
Powher Pre-Workout for Women is one of the most popular female-designed pre-workout supplements around. Its low-stim formulation makes it one of the safest pre-workouts and, while it is quite low in caffeine, it’ll still give you a great boost of energy.
- Low stimulant formulation
- Gradual-release formula
- Increases mental and physical energy and stamina
- Boosts fat burning as well as energy
- Rich in electrolytes
- Non-gritty, easy to mix formulation
- Refreshing pink lemonade taste
A lot of pre-workout supplements contain little more than a whole lot of caffeine. While it’s a good energizer, in large amounts, it can trigger anxiety, sleeplessness, and the jitters. Powher Pre-Workout for Women only contains 100mg, so it’s much easier to tolerate and has fewer unwanted side effects.
Check out our full Powher review here.
- Safe, proven ingredients
- Mixes easily
- Designed specifically for women
- Won’t cause unwanted side effects
- Only available in one flavor
- Some users may prefer a product with even more energizing caffeine
Powher is a reliable, safe, and popular product explicitly designed for women. Whatever workout you do, a shot of Powher before you start will make sure you can perform at your best.
2. 4 Gauge
4 Gauge is a potent supplement suitable for both men and women. It’s not so good for cardio workouts but, if you are hitting the gym to lift weights or are doing CrossFit of HIIT, this product will give you all the energy you need for a great workout.
- All-natural ingredients
- Caffeine and theanine for increased energy and focus
- Creatine for increased stamina and strength
- L-citrulline for increased blood flow and a better pump
- Red beets for increased vasodilation
- Rhodiola Rosea for a better mood
- Acetyl-l-carnitine for less fatigue
- Coconut water to replace lost electrolytes and prevent cramp
- Excellent pre workout energy
4 Gauge is a very comprehensive pre-workout supplement. The modest caffeine intake will give you a short-term energy boost, while the creatine will have a more lasting effect.
Better blood flow will also help ward off fatigue. In short, this product should leave you feeling energized and ready to perform at your best.
Click here for the full 4-Gauge review.
- Good for immediate and long-term energy
- No proprietary blends
- Free from artificial ingredients
- Refreshing fruit blast flavor
- Only available in one flavor
- Not suitable for nighttime use
- Creatine can cause bloating in some women
4 Gauge is ideal for tough workouts when you need a serious energy boost. However, some women find that this product causes water retention, and would be better off with a creatine free pre-workout.
3. IdealLean Blue Raspberry
While most pre-workouts boost your energy, some contain sugar, which could interfere with weight loss. If you exercise to burn fat, that’s the last ingredient you want in your pre-workout. With no sugar and only five calories per serving, IdealLean is arguably the best pre-exercise energizer for weight loss.
- Specially formulated for fat loss
- Contains proven energizers and fat burners
- Designed boost endurance and fight fatigue
- Available in eight different flavors
- Stim-free formulation also available
With 150mg of caffeine per serving, IdealLean contains the same amount as 1½ cups of coffee. This is more than enough to give you the energy you need, but not so much you will feel anxious or jittery. However, most users should avoid using this product too close to bedtime as it could still stop you from sleeping.
- Great flavors
- Good for all types of workouts
- Burns fat and increases energy
- Competitively priced
- Some users report skin flushing and itching when using this product
Tingling, flushed, and even slightly itchy skin are common side effects of many pre-workouts. It’s usually caused by the presence of vasodilating ingredients designed to increase blood flow. While not dangerous or serious, this side effect can be uncomfortable enough to put some users off using a pre-workout. If you don’t like this sensation, this product may not be your best choice.
4. Performance Labs Sport Pre-Workout
Performance Labs Sport Pre-Workout is entirely stim-free. It contains no caffeine but, instead, uses other non-stim ingredients to boost your energy and endurance. If caffeine gives you the jitters or keeps you awake at night, this is the product for you.
- Caffeine-free formulation
- Non-GMO, vegan-friendly, and no banned substances or allergens
- Capsules instead of the usual drink mix
- Contains creatine, L-citrulline, and other non-stim energy boosters
- Raises nitric oxide levels
Most pre-workout supplements are drink mixes. And while that’s a convenient delivery system for the ingredients, it can cause problems because even clean pre-workouts have unpleasant aftereffects and can cause indigestion. Performance Labs Sport uses capsules, which means flavor is no longer an issue.
Read our full Performance Lab Pre review here.
- Easy to use
- Minimal side effects
- Contains prebiotics for better digestive health
- Some users may find taking six capsules unpleasant or impractical
- With no caffeine, this product is not as strong as some of the others on review
Going caffeine-free is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it means fewer unwanted side effects. But, on the other, you may not feel this product working. If you are happy with a gentler, more subtle boost in energy, this product is for you. But, if you want a real energizing kick in the pants, a caffeinated pre-workout will be more suitable.
5. Six Star Explosion
Six Star Explosion Pre-Workout Powder is designed to provide a noticeable energy boost. It contains a range of proven ingredients to power you through even the toughest, longest workouts. Suitable for women and men, this is a powerful formulation that you’ll definitely feel working.
- Just ten calories per serving
- No sugar
- High in vitamin C and Vitamin B3
- Contains beta-alanine, creatine, l-tyrosine, and caffeine for energy
- L-arginine, taurine, and l-citrulline
- Available in five flavors
This pre-workout isn’t explicitly designed for women, but its modest caffeine content means it’s more than suitable for female exercisers. The combination of proven ingredients means that this product will produce noticeable increases in energy with minimal side effects.
- Great for strength training workouts
- Made from premium, proven ingredients
- Designed to increase physical energy and mental focus
- Well-priced product
- Contains several artificial ingredients
- Made in a facility that also processes nuts, milk, eggs, wheat, and nuts
Some pre-workouts are very expensive, which means some people may not be able to use them as often as they’d like. Six Star Explosion is very budget-friendly, and that means you’ll be able to use it before every workout. That’s good news if you are a frequent pre-workout user.
6. Garden of Life Sport
After reading the ingredients list on most supplements, you’d be forgiven for not knowing what most of the substances are. Garden of Life Sport is organic, plant-based, and a whole lot more natural.
- Certified organic, non-GMO, and gluten-free
- Designed to boost physical energy and mental focus
- Very modest caffeine content
- Contains a range of organic plant-based ingredients, including spinach, beets, and kale
- Raises nitric oxide levels
While this option does contain caffeine, it’s only 85mg per serving, which is less than a cup of coffee. However, combined with the other ingredients, that’s more than enough to provide a noticeable boost of energy.
- Clean, natural ingredients
- Contains no known allergens
- An excellent alternative to harsher, artificial products
- Mixes easily
- Fresh, light taste
- Only available in two (very similar) flavors – blackberry and blackberry cherry
- Contains sugar
While Garden of Life Sport contains organic cane sugar, it’s still sugar none-the-less. Even a little sugar could interfere with shedding weight.
That said, if you are looking for the best pre-workout for cardio, and are more concerned with performance than weight loss, this product should deliver the results you want, and without a whole lot of chemical nastiness.
7. Rari Infinity
While Rari might be a lesser-known supplement company, their Infinity Pre-Workout Powder has proven to be very popular. Packed with tried and tested ingredients, this product will boost your energy while increasing focus and fat burning.
- Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, and folic acid for energy and better carbohydrate metabolism
- 175mg of caffeine per 1-scoop serving
- Tyrosine, l-citrulline, and beta-alanine for more energy, better blood flow, and less fatigue
- Black pepper extract for increased metabolism and thermogenesis
- Easy mix formulation
- Refreshing strawberry lemonade flavor
- Keto and vegan diet-friendly
While this product doesn’t contain as much caffeine as some pre-workouts, 175mg per serving is more than enough to give you a noticeable energy boost. The manufacturers suggest double-dosing if you need a more significant energy hit.
While this will provide you with all the energy you need for even the toughest workout, you may experience side effects like anxiety, tremors, heart palpations, and insomnia if you do.
- Easy mix formula
- Creatine-free formulation
- No sugar or carbs
- Suitable for use before cardio and strength training workouts
- Some users report a slight tingling sensation after using which, while not dangerous, can be uncomfortable for sensitive users
- May contain too much caffeine for some exercisers
Rari Infinity Pre-Workout Powder contains everything a good pre-workout should to boost focus and physical energy. A little higher in caffeine than many other pre-workouts. But, if you need an energy boost you can feel, this product could be what you are looking for.
8. Beverly International Up-Lift
When you are feeling tired, nothing lifts you up like a cup of tea or coffee. Unfortunately, while the energy and the performance-boosting effect of caffeine are well-documented, a lot of people experience unwanted side effects, like insomnia, anxiety, and tremors.
Beverly International Up-Lift is caffeine-free and yet will still increase your energy and focus.
- 100% stimulant-free
- Arginine and citrulline
- Betaine and tyrosine for improved mental and physical performance
- Beta-alanine, histidine, and carnosine to prevent fatigue
- Apoptogenic ginseng and Rhodiola Rosea extract to lower stress
If caffeinated pre-workouts leave you feeling wound up and unable to relax, you’ll love the effect of Beverley International’s stim-free, non-habit-forming Up-Lift.
It’s designed to increase blood flow and prevent fatigue without making your heart race or nerves jangle. Despite this, you’ll still have all the energy you need to power through your next workout.
- Non-stim formulation
- Minimal side effects
- Won’t disrupt your sleep
- Great for cardio and strength training workouts
- Use anytime – even late at night
- Only available in one flavor – tart cherry
- Some users may miss the stimulatory sensations caused by caffeine
- Quite expensive
Stim-free energy comes at a price, and this product costs about twice as much as products that contain caffeine. Why? Because it’s cheap! The ingredients in Beverly International Up-Lift are proven to produce the results you want, with none of the usual side-effects. However, you’ll have to pay for this privilege.
9. Red Leaf Energizer
Red Leaf Pre-Workout Energizer contains several ingredients that you’ll recognize from your kitchen cupboards, including green tea, cranberries, and caffeine. However, despite the lack of exotic ingredients, this product will still boost your energy without uncomfortable side effects.
- Branch chain amino acids for energy, preservation of lean muscle mass, and faster recovery after exercise
- Beta-alanine for increased endurance and resistance to fatigue
- Cranberry and green tea for energy and antioxidants
- All-natural flavorings
Red Leaf Energizer is one of the cleanest pre-workouts around. While it does contain caffeine, it’s a measly 40mg, which is less than half a cup of coffee. That’s enough to give you a small lift, but no so much you suffer any lasting aftereffects. Made from all-natural ingredients, this supplement is actually good for you!
- 100% natural ingredients
- Good for all types of workout
- Refreshing, natural cranberry and lime flavor
- No artificial additives
- High in health-boosting antioxidants
- Some users may prefer a bigger dose of caffeine
- Only available in one flavor
- More expensive than other, less natural pre-workout supplements
If you want an option that isn’t crammed with caffeine and is made with natural and healthy ingredients, this could be the product you have been looking for. While it’s not so strong that it’ll blow your socks off, it’s potent enough for most exercisers.
10. C4 Sport
Cellucor is America’s best-selling pre-workout supplement company. C4 Sport is one of their most popular products, and it’s easy to see why. High in proven ingredients, this proven product never fails to deliver. Whatever workout you are about to do, C4 (like the explosive) will make sure you perform at your best.
- Vitamins B6 and B12 for energy and better carbohydrate metabolism
- Calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium for replacing lost minerals
- Caffeine for energy and fat burning
- Arginine for better blood flow, more energy, and less fatigue
- Beta-alanine for improved endurance
- Taurine for increased focus
- Creatine for strength and endurance
C4 Sport has been tested and proven in the world of competitive professional sports. Used by players in the NFL, NBA, and PGA, this product contains no banned substances and won’t result in a failed drug test. It’s non-addictive formula, and modest caffeine content means C4 Sport is safe for daily use.
- Sugar-free formula
- 135mg of caffeine per serving
- Trusted, proven ingredients
- Just five calories per serving
- Well-priced product
- Creatine may cause water retention in some users
- Late night use could result in insomnia
135mg of caffeine per serving is not a lot – it’s just under 1½ cups of coffee. That said, if you are very caffeine sensitive, this could be enough to stop you from sleeping if you use this product too close to bedtime.
But, if you use it during the day or have no caffeine issues, this product should provide you with a reliable burst of energy so you can power through even the toughest workout.
11. Legion Pulse
Pre-workouts tend to fall into one of two categories – very low/no caffeine, or very high caffeine. With a whopping 350mg per serving, Legion Pulse most definitely falls into this latter category!
- L-theanine for enhanced mood and sustained energy
- Alpha-GPC for increased muscle power
- Citrulline for better blood flow and endurance
- Beta-alanine for less fatigue
- Betaine for increased strength and endurance
- Sodium and potassium to replace minerals lost during perspiration
Legion Pulse will provide you with a noticeable energy boost without calories, sugar, or carbs. At only 10 calories per serving, this product could even help you lose weight and assist with muscle building.
However, containing 3½ coffee cups worth of caffeine, this product is not suitable for users with a strong caffeine sensitivity, and should not be used at night as it is all-but-guaranteed to stop you from sleeping.
- Very powerful formulation
- All-natural ingredients
- Energy-boosting affects you can feel
- Naturally flavored with artificial sweeteners
- Available in 15 flavors
- May be too much caffeine for some users
Legion Pulse is probably the strongest pre-workout supplement around. In fact, it may be too intense for some users. But, if you need to go from zero to 100 in a matter of minutes, the proven, powerful formulation and ingredients in Legion Pulse are guaranteed to deliver the results you want while also building muscle.
12. Promera Sport
Promera Sport Women’s Pre-Workout is designed by women, for women. It contains several proven energizing ingredients and will help you power through any type of workout, from cardio to strength training. This product is part pre-workout, and part fat burner, making it an excellent product for exercisers who work out for weight loss.
- Vitamins B3, B6, B9, and B12 for energy and carbohydrate metabolism
- Chromium for more stable blood glucose
- Creatine for more energy, strength, and endurance
- L-carnitine, green tea, and capsicum
- Black pepper extract for increased thermogenesis and to improve the potency of the other ingredients
Loaded with proven ingredients, Promera Sport Women Elite is a reliable supplement with few side effects. Its refreshing taste is more than tolerable, and the modest caffeine content means that most users should have no problems with this popular product.
- Proven ingredients
- Easy to mix, non-gritty formula
- Can help boost mental and physical performance
- Quite expensive
- Only available in two flavors
Promera Sport Woman’s pre contains several ingredients that can help raise your energy levels so you can work out even when your willpower and motivation are trying to convince you otherwise! Also excellent for muscle growth.
It’s not the most powerful product, but that means it has very few side effects too. This supplement is ideal for late afternoon and early evening training sessions and won’t stop you from sleeping at night.
Low energy levels can really take the wind out of your workout sails. In fact, in some cases, it can be enough to put you off exercising at all. While getting a good night’s sleep and eating healthily will undoubtedly help maintain your energy, sometimes nature needs a helping hand – and that means pre-workout supplements.
While some pre-workouts contain a lot of caffeine, and others have none, all of these products can help give you a lift. Fast-acting and reliable, just take a dose of your chosen pre-workout 20-30 minutes before you are due to exercise, and you’ll soon be ready to go.
You’ll be able to feel some pre-workouts working, as they make your skin tingle and your heart race. Others are more subtle, and you’ll only notice their effect when you are into your session.
Either way, while no pre-workout can make up for lack of sleep or not eating healthily, if you need a boost, using one of these supplements will definitely help.
Don’t forget to visit the Weight Loss, Health & Fitness homepage for more reviews!
12 Best Pre-Workouts for Women
The 12 best brands and options for women.
- 4 Gauge
- Performance Labs
- Six Star Explosion
- Garden of Life Sport
- RARI Nutrition
- Beverly Up-Lift
- Red Leaf Energizer
- C4 Sport
- Legion Pulse
- ProMera Sport
12 Best Pre-Workouts for Women DEALS
We collect information from many stores for best price available