Does waking up well-rested in the morning sound like the stuff of dreams? Are you used to tossing and turning for hours in bed even after an exhausting, long day?
Sleep is one of the most important functions our bodies need to be healthy. Insomnia or restless sleeping impacts our mental health, immune system, everyday mood, and overall focus.
If you struggle with insomnia or sleep apnea, you know that an uninterrupted, restful night of sleep is nothing to take for granted.
Sleep supplements can help you relax and slip into slumber. Learning about some of the best options out there can be the first step towards gaining back your energy, good mood, and healthier immune system – all thanks to a regular and balanced sleep schedule.
Best Sleep Supplements
Performance Lab promises you “the best night’s sleep of your life” with their capsule supplements.
- Low dose of melatonin from a Montmorency tart cherry
- Antioxidants that soothe joints and muscles, allowing you to fully relax and unwind
- 3 magnesium forms that also help with muscle promotion
Instead of supplying your body with synthetic melatonin, Sleep Lab provides you with Montgomery cherry tart, known to be densely packed with melatonin. This can help regulate the disruption of your body’s melatonin creation, often caused by late-night electronics exposing you to artificial light.
Along with magnesium and antioxidants, these supplements should naturally aid in relaxing and unwinding into a deep sleep in the nighttime.
- Safe and isn’t habit-forming
- Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and GMP certified
- No synthetic additives
- Purchase covered by a 30-day performance promise
- It’s on the pricier side
- You may need to use it for an extended period before you fully feel the benefits
An innovative approach to modern-day sleep supplements, Sleep Lab is all-natural, free of any harmful or artificial substances, and promises not to cultivate dependence.
Presented as a sleep aid for women, Powher capsules contain melatonin, magnesium, chamomile, and the amino acid L-Tryptophan.
- Pure L-Tryptophan is thought to increases serotonin levels, necessary for a relaxed sleep
- Powher says they use essential extracts, minerals and vitamins in “doses proven to deliver results” with more ingredients per tablet than their competitors
Users are advised to take 2 pills 30 minutes before bedtime for optimal results. The Powher supplements work with your body to relax naturally.
- Optimal dosing per capsule
- Low stimulant
- Transparent formula with ingredients that have been proven to help with regulating emotions and sleep patterns
- A high price tag
- It’s pretty new on the market so has limited customer reviews
With a simple, concise formula the Powher tablets are easy on your body and nervous system. Combined with a routine sleeping schedule, they’re sure to assist you with deep, rejuvenating sleep.
The Hush & Hush luxury nutraceuticals differ from most sleeping supps because they don’t contain melatonin. Instead, each capsule has a mixture of botanicals associated with uninterrupted restful sleep.
- Vegan, Lactose-free, Gluten-free, and Soy-free
- Melatonin free so no groggy wake ups
- Vitamin E & C and root extracts with calming properties
You’re advised to take 1 or 2 tablets 30 minutes before bedtime. These supplements are also meant to be a source of calcium, magnesium, and L-theanine.
For calming and anxiety-reducing properties, there’s also holy basil leaf, chamomile, and Rhodiola Rosea root.
Hush & Hush assure you that their “secret is science,” and all their blends are evidence-based.
- Vegan capsules
- Doesn’t build dependency
- 30-day trial – money back if you’re unsatisfied with results
- Possibly not as effective as a sleeping aid
If you feel that melatonin leaves you groggy and struggling in the morning, or you’re seeking sleep supplements that are packed with beneficial herbs that can help reduce stress and anxiety, Hush & Hush is a great option.
If your insomnia is rooted in stress and anxiety, these serotonin-boosting capsules may be the magic you’re looking for.
- Multi-nutrient/botanical formulas in supplements that promote healthy neurotransmitter production
- Help enhance your mood
5 HTP is an essential amino acid known for increasing serotonin levels, reducing stress, and managing sugar cravings.
Made by Thorne Research, these 1-2 capsules can be taken daily and should help with sleep and stress. They profess that every product has been run through 4 rounds of testing and is sustainably sourced.
Serotonin is a chemical that’s naturally found in your body and is a precursor to the production of melatonin.
- Simple, transparent formula
- Can also help with depression and act as a mood booster
- Vegan, gluten and soy-free
- Too much serotonin in your body can cause heart palpitations or shivering
- 5 HTP Should not be taken with alcohol
Thorne 5 HTP supplements provide you with essential chemicals that help your body regulate emotions and sleeping schedule.
These herbal supplements are jampacked with ingredients that are known for activating your brain’s chemistry and achieve a relaxed state before drifting off. If getting an uninterrupted, deep sleep sounds like an unattainable dream, these capsules may be a real help.
- Naturally sourced ingredients
- Can help alleviate anxiety as well as promote restful sleep
- Formula crafted and tested by neurologist Dr. Mahyar Okhovat
Nuvana promises a restorative balance to your sleeping cycles and routine. Every supplement is also a source of GABA, a neurotransmitter that inhibits the nervous system and calms your emotions.
It also contains Lemon Balm, magnesium, melatonin, chamomile, valerian root, melatonin, magnesium, and 5-HTP.
Take two (2) capsules with a glass of water 20-30 minutes before bedtime.
- Vegan, non-GMO, third party tested
- Satisfaction guarantee with a full refund
- Extra strength sleeping capsules for adults
- GABA may be difficult for your body to absorb orally
- Low dose of magnesium per capsule
If you’re looking for a naturally sourced supplement that can help soothe anxiety and speed up your sleeping process, the Nuvana Shut Eye is a great choice.
These Luna tablets are Amazon’s #1 choice of its kind. Promising to ease you into a restorative sleep without annoying 3 am wake-ups, the capsules contain a lot of the usual calming herbs and hormones commonly found in sleeping aids.
- Made naturally with including melatonin, chamomile, GABA, L- Theanine, Lemon Balm and Passionflower
- With a natural, transparent formula, Luna enables you to see and research exactly what you’re ingesting with each tablet.
Advertised as a “gentle sleeping aid”, the Luna sleep aid has a lot of positive reviews on Amazon and promises to help you stay asleep in the nighttime – and awake refreshed and content in the morning.
You’re advised to take 1 to 2 capsules 30-60 minutes before bed with a glass of water.
- Vegan, non-GMO, made in a GMP certified facility, 3rd party tested
- Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back
- Non-habit forming
- GABA isn’t easily broken down into your system
- The formula isn’t as densely packed with proven effective ingredients as other sleep aids on the market
Luna is popular among online consumers and is an efficient sleeping aid for many. Created by a small team in Vancouver, Canada, it’s a brand that can be trusted.
If you’re looking for a gentle, efficient, and healthy source of sleep aid supplements, the Sleep Fairy promises you’ll be satisfied with their capsules.
- The formula includes magnolia bark, an herb that’s sometimes used to alleviate depression and insomnia
- Because it’s a natural and subtle formula, it’s non-habit forming
- Good serving of melatonin and many positive reviews
Each capsule contains melatonin, 5-HTP, L-Theanine, chamomile, GABA, and valerian root.
Positive reviews include customers saying they no longer wake up groggy in the morning, and have an easier time sleeping through the night.
- For women, Sleep Fairy promises a balancing of hormones and stress reduction
- Vegan, clinically proven formula
- Money-back guarantee
- Low dose of magnesium
- Like mentioned before, GABA doesn’t transcend the blood-brain barrier so may not be effective in the form of pills
The Sleep Fairy supplements are a generous source of melatonin, making it a great sleep aid to try if you’re struggling.
These gel capsules contain a mixture of ingredients that can help you undo the stimulating effects of caffeine, relax, and prep your body for deep sleep.
- Contains rutaecarpine, a berry extract used in Chinese medicine to eliminate caffeine from the system and replenish the adrenal gland
- Healthy dose of L-Glycerine, an amino acid broken down into a neurotransmitter known to enhance sleep quality and reduce fatigue
- Includes isoroil which can help ease depression and anxiety
- Also a source of melatonin and L-Theanine to help your relax and fall asleep
Take 2 capsules 30 minutes before bed. Genius Sleep Aid is best when taken 5 nights per week with two days off.
- Veggie capsules with formulas built off clinical trials
- Can help alleviate anxiety and boost your adrenal functions
- Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back
- A low concentration of melatonin
- Rutaecarpine hasn’t been scientifically proven to work on humans
With a low dose of melatonin and composed of primarily premium ingredients, Genius Sleep Aid promises to be non-addictive and backed by scientific research.
The Zebra hemp CBD oil, Omega 3s, and L-Theanine to provide you with a refreshing night’s sleep. It promises “full body relaxation” and “natural, full spectrum…sleep aid.”
- A natural, patent-pending formula for optimal sleep
- Claims to work better than melatonin, and can soothe anxiety even during the daytime
- Dietary supplements that help with sleep and relaxation with 0% THC so no high
Packed with ingredients not necessarily found in common sleeping aids, these are a great option for anyone that is looking for an alternative to melatonin or find hemp oil particularly effective.
- Clinically tested and 3rd party tested
- Hemp CBD can help soothe aches, pain, and anxiety
- Not effective in aiding sleep for everyone (mixed user reviews)
Try this innovative formula if you’re looking for something a little different or if you’re sensitive to melatonin supplements
NooMost supplements deliver a double whammy – sleeping aid and weight loss benefits. Along with Melatonin and Valerian Root, the supplements also contain Garcinia Cambogia- a fruit extract known for its appetite suppressing and fat-burning properties.
- Contains L-Tryptonanine and Glycerine to help sleep and relaxation
- Can help reduce anxiety, decrease your appetite, and burn fat while you sleep
- Effective sleep aid and weight loss tablets for men and women
These can be a great resource for anyone that’s struggling with consistent sleeping patterns as well as shedding some pounds. The formula is aimed at combating both issues.
- Non-habit forming
- 2-in-1 formula helps healthy sleeping and weight loss
- 100% money-back guarantee
- May cause an upset stomach if you’re sensitive
Get well-rested and lose some of those stubborn pounds with these tablets. As your sleep improves, you can also see weight loss as your metabolism gets better as a result.
If you’re looking for a sleeping supplement that’s basic and uncomplicated, the Source Natural tablets deliver just that. With a healthy dose of melatonin and vitamin B6, this simple formula may be just what you need for an excellent night sleep.
- Mix of melatonin and Vitamin B6 should ensure rejuvenating sleep as well as a healthier immune system
- Easily absorbed lozenges dissolve quickly and are orange-flavored
- Not addictive without the side effect of groggy wake ups
If you get a bit nervous around supplements that are big capsules, these tablets will dissolve in your mouth and help boost your immune system and sleeping experience.
- Natural and uncomplicated blend
- Sustainably produced
- Dairy-free, gluten-free, no artificial flavoring or coloring
- A low dose of melatonin in one tablet; you may need to take two before bedtime for potency
- Contains soy and synthetic source of melatonin
These naturally flavored tablets have a lot of positive customer reviews and promise to aid your sleep in a non-invasive way. Though they do contain some synthetic ingredients but their formula is transparent and simple.
If you harbor a soft spot for sweets, you’ll love these vegan gummies that help you get a solid night’s sleep. Containing melatonin, magnesium, and 5-HTP, each gummy is packed with powerful sleep aids.
- Vegan vitamin complex gummies designed to help you sleep
- Berry flavored and chewy, they contain Lemon Balm Leaf, Melatonin, Passion Flower, and 5-HTP
Aside from melatonin, each gummy also contains Vitamin B6 which is known to promote melatonin production. All the other ingredients help soothe and calm your mind and body, and help facilitate a restorative sleep.
It’s recommended to take 2 gummies a half hour before bed.
- Berry flavored chewy gummies, a great alternative to pills
- Vegan, soy, gluten, and cruelty-free
- Positive customer reviews
- Contain artificial sweeteners like glucose syrup as well as food coloring
- A proprietary blend is used, meaning that it’s hard to tell the dosage of each ingredient whether or not it’s effective
While the blend in these gummies isn’t entirely natural, it’s delicious, easy to take, and packed with sleep aids.
Key Sleep Information
Natural Remedies for Insomnia
Aside from supplements, you can also try natural remedies for insomnia. Follow a routine before bed where you de-stress and unwind your body in preparation for sleep.
This can include some relaxing yoga, reading a book, following a soothing skin care regimen, or having a cup of tea.
Lowering the temperature in your bedroom is another great way to help ease insomnia.
Herbs for Sleep
Chamomile and Valerian root can both be digested in a cup of tea before bedtime, helping you relax.
Lavender can also be inhaled as an essential oil or rubbed onto your wrists for its calming effect.
Ingredients to look for and Avoid
Magnesium is a great ingredient in sleep aid supplements. Not only does it help calm your nervous system and drift off to sleep, but it also helps regulate hormones, emotions, and blood pressure. It’s a multiple win-win!
Almost all sleep aid supplements contain varying doses of melatonin – organic melatonin, found in tart cherry, for instance, is much more recommended than an artificial dosage, even if it’s higher.
Potential Side Effects of Sleep Aids
When you’re searching for sleep aid on the market, it’s important to also be aware of any potentially harmful side effects.
Synthesized melatonin, used in many supplements, can cause you to be groggy and sleepy in the morning, even after a full night’s sleep.
Over the counter sleep aid such as Ambien and Sonata can cause drowsiness, dizziness, or an upset stomach during the day time, even if you got some rest the night before.
Other Tips for Getting a better Sleep
Taking sleep aid supplements can help you work with your body and mind to unwind and recharge.
There are some additional steps you can that will help generate an atmosphere and mind-space that’s conducive to healthy and rejuvenating sleep.
Limit screen time before bed
Once the sun sets, your body naturally produces melatonin, getting you ready for bed. Most of us now unwind with a TV episode or mindless Instagram scrolling before trying to drift off to sleep.
What does this do to your brain? It confuses it. When you’re exposing your eyes to bright light of screens, it can mess with the production of melatonin and send mixed signals to your nervous system.
It’s recommended to limit screen time before bed time – an hour to 3 hours before. This makes “getting ready for bed” a natural process.
If you easily startle in the middle night, a white noise machine can help you sleep less fitfully – which of course means easier mornings.
White noise helps mask sleep-disturbing sounds that can jolt you from your dreams – whether it’s a car driving by, a creaky floorboard, or loud upstairs neighbor.
Tune into Your Circadian Rythm
Your body’s circadian rhythm aligns with sunrise and sunset and helps regulate your sleeping habits.
With modern-day busy schedules and technology, our rhythms can be thrown out of balance.
By abstaining from evening naps, weekend sleep-ins, and an erratic sleep schedule, you’re gifting your body the freedom to stick to a steady sleep schedule, which in turns will leave you feeling better rested.
Sleeping can be surprisingly rough work. Our bodies desperately need this nocturnal downtime to reinvigorate our functions, gain strength, and give the mind some freedom to digest the feelings and stimuli of the day.
For anyone struggling with insomnia or nights spent tossing and turning, the effects tend to bleed into days spent in a foggy, over-caffeinated daze.
Take control of your life by beginning with the hours spent resting idle. It may take some time and some trial and error to find what works best for you, but it’ll be worth it.
Getting into a healthy sleep schedule – whether naturally, with the aid of sleep supplements, or a combination of the two – can be life-changing. With non-addictive sleep aid, you’ve got nothing to lose.
Who knows, you may even become a cheerful morning person somewhere down the road.
Visit the WL Fitness Health homepage for more supplement reviews and information!
Best Sleep Supplements
Looking to get a better nights sleep? Here are the 12 best sleeping aids on the market.
Hush & Hush
Thorne 5 HTP
Nuvana Shut Eye
Best Sleep Supplements DEALS
We collect information from many stores for best price available